FIST/CSIT conducted consultancy work for Aga Khan Foundation Afghanistan
The goal of the consultancy work was to assess current storage methods for Apples and Potatoes, and suggest new designs and improvements to existing storages in Badakhshan and Takhar provinces of Afghanistan.
The FIST/CSIT visited and conducted assessment of current conditions of existing potato and apple storage facilities in Badakhshan and Takhar provinces of Afghanistan (the districts of Shughnan, Shiva, Khash, Ishkashim, Baharak, Faizabad, Taloqan, and Warsag). Our specialists provided recommendations on storage design given the results of conducted assessment and conducted trainings and workshops for AKF-A staff on storage construction and design.
Necessary practical tips were provided on construction and restoration of following storage facilities:
Construction of three potato storage facilities (1 in Takhar, 2 in Badakhshan)
Construction of one apple storage facility (Badakhshan)
Construction of one tomato storage (Takhar)
Restoration of two potato storage facilities (Badakhshan)
1) Ganjabad research station (Aug 12)
2) Wakhan valley storage near medical point (Aug 13)
3) Wakhan valley storage next to regional AKF office
4) Second visit to Ganjabad (October 25)
5) Bharak fruit growers association prospective sites (3) (October 26)
6) Afghan‐aid apple storage (October 26)
7) Private potato storage (October 26)
8) Unused AKF storage (built 2008, October 26)